The Weaving Dept. at the Myers House has been serving knitters, crocheters, weavers, spinners, and fiber lovers for 29 years. We are located on the ground floor of the historic Myers House in Florissant, MO - just a half hour from the St. Louis Arch!
Myers House History
The John B. Myers House demonstrates the remarkable persistence of the Classical Revival style of architecture into the Victorian era. Noteworthy for its elaborate detailing (ornate, two-story portico and extensive interior wall treatments), the house has survived in a relatively unaltered condition.
The original owners/builders of the Myers House were John B. and Adelaide Motten Myers. In 1867, Myers purchased fifty acres of land less than a mile south of the old French town of St. Ferdinand (now Florissant). He had come to Missouri from Pottstown, Pennsylvania, and had substantial land holding in Calhoun County, Illinois. John and Adelaide had three children: John, Jr; Salena; and Zelda (born 16 days after her father's death in 1869).
At John B. Myers' death, only the foundations and framework for the upper stories of the house were finished. Mrs. Myers is credited with completing the construction following her husband's plans.
Then, prior to 1974, the Myers House was slated for demolition to allow for the construction of the Interbelt Highway 270 in St. Louis County. Following much opposition by proponents for the retention of the historic house, Missouri State Highway Department officials redesigned the roadway to avoid the house.
The majority of the Myers House information has come from a Historic American Homes Survey.